DIY, fashion AND living art? One of my main new year’s resolutions this year was to create some living art pieces and this new hot line is the perfect inspiration I’ve been looking for!
Move over color orange, stems, petals and living designs are the new black this year after Glam Gardens’ showings at Saks and runway fashion events the MET this year. Hilton Garden Inn re-created these awesome outfits with their new line of resort ready wear to encourage people to get out and traveling over the summer.
You can use any living plant or flower, but here are some examples that are easy to craft into beautiful living outfits.
Example Materials used to craft:
– 3 yds moss
– 2 yds natural grape vine
– Tree fern garland, about 8 feet
– Nagi leaves, 8 bunches (est. 800-1000 leaves all hand sewn)
– Ti leaf, 4
– 200 blue daisies
– 40 red carnations
– 4 yellow Gerber daisy
– 2 yellow ranunculus
– Green dyed natural raffia, 4 bunches
– Bear grass, 2 bunches
– 30 Ti leaves
– 2 branches Italian ruscus
– 4 traditional Hawaiian leather leaf fern wrist/ankle pieces
– 1 traditional haku-style headpiece in orchid, tuberose and baby’s breath
– 1 purple orchid double lei
– 2 purple orchid with ti leaf twist lei
– 150 yellow pompon chrysanthemums
– 20 yellow Gerber daisies
– 30 pink Matsumoto asters
– 25 white button chrysanthemums
– 20 yellow ranunculus
– 75 loose purple orchid blooms
– 25 loose white orchid blooms
– 20 loose light green orchid blooms
– 5 pale peach spider mums
– 4 pounds raw organic black sesame seed
– 60 white button chrysanthemums
– 150 white stock (gillyflower) blossoms
– 30 yellow craspedia (billy buttons)
– 250 mini red carnations
– 300 red carnations
– 2 pounds natural one orchid chips
– 150 Gothic black painted spider mums (split)
You can see this fashion in person and even win a trip to Hawaii! The tour started in New York City on April 10 and 11, then continues to Dallas, TX on May 15 and 16, Los Angeles, CA on July 3 and 4 and ends in Chicago, IL on September 4 and 5. More photos of the Hilton Garden Inn’s Garden Getaway Tour are available: http://www.hiltongardeninnmediacenter.com/index.cfm/gallery/album/html/14974?tl=de&si=16. It’s still showing around the country, so you can go see it!
Have you ever used living plants for a craft or fashion project? I can’t wait to create my living art pieces!
Elizabeth Adan is a Freelance Writer, Publicist and Brand Ambassador. Her blog Aquaberry Bliss is a unique outdoor lifestyle blog dedicated to expanding your world and inspiring your creativity. When Elizabeth isn’t traveling, you’ll find her writing, hiking or gardening. Find Elizabeth on Twitter @stillaporcupine and on LinkedIn.